Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Trusting when the training wheels come off...

I was driving home this week on one of my favorite streets... 1st Avenue North! The trees are old and big, hanging down almost making a canopy and the sun just barley peeks through all the branches... i think it takes me back to Texas!

As i continued down 1st Avenue North i saw such a sweet thing out my window, i watched this man hold onto the back of his little girls back as she struggled to stay on her bike. You could tell she wanted to jump off and cry or just plain give up but, she didn't. At one point she stopped peddling and the dad got in front of her handle bars and hugged her and kissed her right in the middle of her forehead... of course i didn't hear what he said but i imagined it to go something like this " you're doing great, don't give up, you're almost there... i love you so much"! Without a doubt i know that the training wheels had just come off, but that doesn't always mean a smooth, easy, struggle free ride ahead! but, we all know eventually you get there... a few scrapes and scars later.

I began pondering what i had just seen! And the words i imagined that sweet daddy telling his blonde haired beauty began echoing in my soul... and all the sudden i realized a year ago this time i myself was hearing those exact same words... the Lord stopped me dead in my tracks and said "Joanna Katherine...you're doing great, don't give up, you're almost there...i love you so much" The picture that i saw through my window...was me 1 whole year ago! I wanted to give up, i wanted never to make it to Great Falls, i thought maybe if i continued to cry the entire way here... John or the Lord would finally give in and send me back to Texas! But, that didn't happen, HE assured me i would make it, HE assured me i could do it but, only with HIM and He assured me of every single thing i was scared of... He promised His faithfulness to me!

I look back on this entire year! And how could i ever stop singing about all the great things the Lord has done??!!! I haven't just merely made it... i have literally survived and LOVED it! I never thought i would say that...ever! My heart pulled out of Texas so torn... i loved John so much, i was the happiest bride in the USA but, the Lord was allowing me to be pulled away... and i just couldn't swallow it...and i honestly didn't know if i trusted Him enough to believe that everything would be ok!

I think back on every single detail i was concerned over....and He has met them all! Of course, i have had my days where i missed Texas, i have longed for my family and my friends but...there has not been one day that i have felt that way...that the Lord didn't whisper to me " You're doing great, don't give up, your almost there... i love you so much"! The rain has defiantly come... but there has always been a rainbow waiting!

I praise Him for Great Falls, Montana! He has changed me from the inside out... i have grown in so many ways...that may not have ever come without this place! I have truly come to know the sustaining power of Jesus Christ! He is my comforter, my portion, my rock, my redeemer, He is worth trusting...always and glory to His name He has never failed me!

So... as i look back on this year not only do i think of what He whispered but, i claim this " A powerful motivation for believing God in our present is intentionally remembering how He's worked in our past"! (Beth Moore) AMEN!!!!!

So though the ride without the training wheels might be scary,might leave a few scrapes and scars... remember "He won't give up on you, He will get you there...right on time, and He loves you so much...forever!!! And after the rain... believe in a rainbow!

Jesus How i trust you!!

9 comments:

Jenny said...

This is my very most favorite Joanna post ever. I am beyond proud of you. You have grown so much and I continue to be encouraged by you DAILY! :)

Love you!!!

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

Girl, you don't even know how you encourage people by sharing this struggle and adventure that has brought you to the rainbow. It is so awesome to read and be encouraged by a blog! I hope to finally meet you one day! :) Keep pedalin' girl! You're doing great!

Taylor said...

Hi Joanna, my name is Taylor; I am 21 and live in Las Vegas...i have read Lindsey's blog for a while and have loved meeting you and jen through it--in a few weeks i plan on getting back on track with my blog!

thank you for this post. i needed to hear every word of it...you are a blessing. Your Father is certainly so proud of You--writing every detail of your growth in His book of remembrance (Mal. 3: 16). Thank you for "speaking often of Him..."

-Taylor

Claire said...

Joanna, I just finished writing a post about how I'm hommesick and having trouble adjusting to life so far away from friends/family. I had written about how you have been doing this for a year and are so brave. Then I ready your post talking about just that. So yes, I agree with Jen, you are SUCH an encouragement to see you being a wonderful wife out of your comfort zone.

love you!

Courtney and Daniel said...

Sweet Jo! You're such a good blogger! :)

I'm proud of you too and I know the Lord has taught you and is still teaching you so much thru your days in Montana!

Thanks for being so great and such an encouragement! I'll need to read this post over the next year in EA!

I LOVE YOU!

Brittney said...

love it and thank you for this! I needed to hear it! So cool how something so small can make you think of how great our God is! He's great, even in the little things... love you!

Callie said...

love this post...you are such a gifted writer! And yes, my mom did Carson's bibs (and many other things for him)...she has fun doing it for people, but I am not sure I would call it a true business...she just has fun with it!

Anonymous said...

Joanna,

We miss you in Texas. I wish I could have seen you while you were. This post is one that I expected and hoped for but was sure would take some time to get to. And by the way, you never take Texas out of person when you take them out of Texas.

Sam (not so creepy) (Lindsee's Dad if you remember him) Eddy